How to Get A Rehab Permit

Are you interested in becoming a wildlife rehabilitator?

Anyone interested in rehab permits for mammals should contact the state conservation officer for their county as regulations vary from county to county.

Rehab permits for birds must be issued by the federal government through the U. S. Fish & Wildlife Service (not USDA, not state or county offices). The application for permit can be found here. Permitting requirements and regional office contacts are listed within this document.

As for the best way to get training, your conservation officer may or may not have some suggestions. Otherwise, the best way to get training is to volunteer with a local rehabber.

If you’re interested in rehabbing birds, we recommend becoming an AWC volunteer. We have monthly new volunteer orientations (check our calendar for the schedule). From there you can become an Animal Care Apprentice, and over time get the hands-on training and experience to become a Clinical Assistant and then Animal Care Tech volunteer.
  • If your interest is with mammals, contact Wild Mammal Care of Alabama (in Vestavia/Hoover area) - 205-871-7803.
  • If you want to get more formal education, check for universities that offer Wildlife Biology majors.
Best wishes and thank you for your desire to help our wild friends.